Violence is a horrible and dynamic thing. Â It is our goal to make our performance in violence as simple as possible. Â The violence itself demands so much from us that we need to make sure that the manner in which we choose to defend ourselvesÂ doesn’tÂ increase that demand any more than it needs to. Â When we are being attacked, there is an incredibly long to do list. Â The more fat we can cut from that list, the more likely we are to be successful in violence. Â Today we take a look at the way manual safeties on fighting handguns could effect our performance in violence.
Sponsor of the Day:
Templar Custom Arms
Enhancing CombativeÂ PistolcraftÂ Skills II
What we need to do to dominate violent encounters
To dominate in violence we have a long to do list that we must take care of:
Please DO NOT take this as anÂ exhaustiveÂ list of skills and options to prevail in a gunfight. Â That is not my purpose.
- Make sure our mindset, conditioning, skills and gear are squared away and with us BEFORE the fight
- Observe Â the threat
- Orient ourselves to the threat
- Decide what we are going to about that threat
The abridged version of handgun Fighting: Â Decide, Move and Shoot
- Move and Access the gun
- Get a grip on the gun
- Orient to the target
- Rip the trigger
The problem comes into paly when we realize that each and every step of this process can be a hornets nest of problems.
This isn’t an 1911 vs. Glock Argument
- Love em
- Have more money tied up in 11’s and accessories than all my other firepower combined
- Carried a variant for years
- 1911’s have manual safeties for a reason, a light trigger pull
- the trigger pull on a 1911 is a thing of beauty and it enhances accuracy wonderfully
- BUT this isn’t happening at 25 yards! Â Sexual distances to 2 armsÂ length!
- I don’t need a trigger to enhance my accuracy
- I don’t need “accuracy” by the standard definition
I See Manual Safeties Cause Problems
- competitive shooting
- students in courses
- both situations provide stress, but nothing like the real thing baby.
- This isn’t just about 1911’s
- If you are dedicated to it no problem. Â Train it.
- 1911 solution
- Understand that you are adding additional skills that you need to train.
- Get it done.