Other than our minds, the thing that distinguishes humans from most other creatures is our hands. Â It is theÂ opposableÂ thumbs of primates that allows us to use tools so effectively and this has allowed us to make the forward leaps we have throughout the generations. Â At times of violence, however, we may find ourselves without tools. Â It is then we may choose to fight using our hands as weapons.
Positioning of Hands
- Guard Position
- Allows our hands to do anything
- Allows for surprise
Strikes With Hands
- Palm Strike
- Hand open
- Fingers Up
- Strike with the meaty portion of the hand where the palm meets the wrist.
- Can be delivered alternating, left or right handed.
- Thrown with the hand, the arm, the shoulders, the torso and the weight shift of the lower body.
- Target is typically the head
- The head is the control center of the body
- Trauma to the head can literally shut the attacker down
- We strike with the whole weight of our body against the relatively small mass of the head.
- We strike to hit the opposite side of the head through the center of mass of the near side of the head.
- Hammer Fist
- Hand closed
- Strike with the meaty part of the pinky finger edge of the hand
- Like a hammer
- The head if the attacker is to either side
- The thigh if the attacker is to the rear