Massad Ayoob is the nation’s leading expert on the use of lethal force in self-defense and his analysis of the legal aspect of lethal force are the standard by which other information is judged.
Whether you have firearms for the defense of your home, carry a gun for self defense, carry a firearm as part of your job it is in your best interest to understand:
- how to use your firearm efficiently
- how to prepare yourself for the use of lethal force
- what skills you need to achieve fast and accurate hits when you need to defend yourself
- how to deal with the immediate aftermath as well as the legal, psychological and social aftermath of the event you hope never happens.
This Immersion course will provide an outstanding foundation for your contiued understanding of self defense with a firearm and the legal aspects of the judicious use of lethal force.
This course will fill to capacity so register early.
You will spend 20 hours on the range focusing on fast and accurate shot placement.
June 16th and 17th, 2016 8:30a – 6:30p
Southington LE and Military Training Facility
10321 Silica Sands Road
Garrettsville, OH 44231
On day one and two, you will spend your time on the range.
Range work will include instruction in the use of the defensive handgun when you are facing extreme stress.
- how you can properly draw your handgun from concealment
- two-handed stances
- shooting from cover
- one-handed stances with either hand
- speed reloading
These skills and more are taught with an overall emphasis on fast, accurate shot placement.
The live fire portion of the course will culminate with an opportunity to complete a police-style handgun qualification course.
The Southington Law Enforcement and Military Training Facility is an outdoor shooting range and is located at:
10321 Silica Sands Road
Garrettsville, OH 44231
<iframe src=””https://www.google.com/maps/embed?pb=!1m14!1m8!1m3!1d2998.6618498442663!2d-81.016155!3d41.272698!3m2!1i1024!2i768!4f13.1!3m3!1m2!1s0x883168471fe5558b%3A0x6527404a42af2399!2s10321+Silica+Sand+Rd%2C+Garrettsville%2C+OH+44231!5e0!3m2!1sen!2sus!4v1418227190267″” width=””400″” height=””300″” frameborder=””0″” style=””border:0″”></iframe>
- Basic understanding of firearms safety
- A clean background show with one of the following documents:
- Current Military or LE ID
- Current Concealed Carry Permit
- A current background check conducted by your local or State LE Agency
* at the time of registration please make a photo copy of both sides of your State issued ID and your proof of clean background and mail to:
Safety Solutions Academy
Attn: Paul Carlson
8440 E Washington Street
Chagrin Falls, OH 44023
Without proof of a clean background you will not be permitted to attend this course.
What you should bring:
- A good quality handgun
- suitable for self-protection and/or concealed carry
- Remember that you will be firing approximately 500 rounds during this class, so ultra-lightweight firearms, though suitable for concealed carry, are not a good choice for class use
- If you have any questions about the suitability of your gun, please contact us.
- Bring a spare gun, if you have one, just in case your primary gun breaks. ( it happens more than you think)
- If you are traveling to take this course and would like to rent a handgun SSA has a limited number of handguns available for rental (available at checkout)
- A good quality holster
- You need a safe, quality holster and belt.
- Again, if you have any questions, please contact us.
- A minimum of 3 magazines or speed loaders for your handgun.
- A magazine pouch/holder for at least 2 of your spare magazines or speed loaders.
- A sturdy belt, to support the above.
- Hearing protection.
- Eye protection.
- Billed cap or other brimmed headwear.
- At least 500 rounds of decent quality, reliable ammunition.
- Range ammunition (FMJ, etc.) is fine.
- You do not need to use premium self defense ammo for this course.
- Ammunition will be available for pre order and pick up at the start of the course ( watch for it when you check out)
- Clothing suitable for the weather and the range. If necessary, we will finish our range work in whatever conditions exist at class time, live-fire classes run rain or shine, mud may be involved.
- a light jacket and sweater or sweatshirt
- Note taking materials.
- You will need to take LOTS of notes. We’ll explain why when you get here.
- If you wish to use a laptop computer or a tablet, that is OK (you may also want to bring an extension cord/power strip).
- Audio or video recording of the class is not allowed.
- Firearm cleaning supplies
- Related tools
- lubricants that you might need.
- A flashlight. Although we will not be doing any night shooting, it can get getting dark fairly early and some of our facilities have no lighting at the range. A flashlight might be handy for packing up your gear and getting to your car.
Please note that the above list is just the essentials. You may bring additional items (such as a range bag, extra magazines, folding chairs and tables, tarps etc.), if you choose.
The Southington Law Enforcement and Military Training Facility has both flush and portable toilets, although the flush toilets are located a good distance from the range. For your comfort you might want to bring wipes, disposable washcloths and / or hand sanitizer.
Please bring your own lunches, snacks, beverages etc. We have a “working lunch” in all classes. Our facility does not have a place close enough to purchase meals and get back in a reasonable amount of time. Remember that class days are 10 hour days so if you need another meal in that amount of time please bring it. Bring water, while we do provide water at all of our locations, it never hurts to bring some more. Everyone has a different need when it comes to comfortable seating, if that might be an issue for you feel free to bring a cushion to sit on.
Travel to North East Ohio
Follow this link for more information about how you can travel to the Cleveland area for this or any other SSA course.
The official hotel for the event is the Newton Falls Holiday Inn Express. There is a block of rooms reserved for the price of $91 a night. When making your reservation use the group name “”SSA MAG40.”” Other lodging options are covered at the link above regarding travel to NE Ohio.
if you have any additional questions please feel free to contact Safety Soutions Academy, LLC via email or give us a call we will be happy to address any questions you might have.
All Classes meet at 8:30 AM on the First Day