Who are Tom and Dark Star Gear
Tom is the owner of Dark Star Gear Holsters. Dark Star Gear is a niche holster manufacturer that focuses on quality holsters for the committed carrier.
Dark Star Gear is one of several companies that has been leading the revival of Appendix Inside the Waistband carry and their products tend to be on the innovative side of the industry and are designed to specifically address the problems that typical people are forced to confront when the carry a gun on a daily basis.
Tom is geared to solve these problems as he is a mechanical engineer and works to make sure that he understands the real pressure that holsters can be subjected to when they are pressed into use in violence.
His products are designed with the end use in mind and are then tested in realistic training environments to ensure proper function.
In today’s show Tom and I look deeply into the topics of holsters, what they are, what they should be, the problems they need to solve and how they can best solve them.
In this episode we discuss:
- Why holsters pose a significant gear problem for concealed carry holders,
- “Bargain” holsters, the problems they don’t solve and the issues they dump in the end user’s lap,
- What jobs a quality holster needs beyond serving as a gun bucket,
- What appendix carry is and why it has become so popular,
- The impact of gun size on concealed carry and why a smaller gun isn’t necessarily easier to carry,
- Specific features that can help a holster to carry and conceal a handgun well,
- How understanding the problems that holsters face is critical for the design of a good holster,
- What attachment points are reliable and which should be avoided,
- Why validation of life saving gear is important and how it should be done,
- What to look at most closely when selecting a holster so that you don’t make concessions in important areas of holsters,
- And more.
Important links related to today’s show.
Listen to Hundreds of SSA Podcast Episodes!
Shop with our Affiliates
You can support the Safety Solutions Academy Podcast by clicking through our affiliate links: