So, I’m on vacation. Â We got in early in morning and as soon as I woke up I headed to the range to run a couple hundred rounds through my new pistol at a local indoor range. Â My intent was just to get to know the pistol a little bit. Â Holding it and pointing it can only tell you so much. Â Guns are meant to be shot and so I took my new Caracal F to the range to play. Â I wasn’t looking to accomplish anything other than get to know this pistol a little bit better and formulate some sort of a plan for how will proceed with the testing and evaluation. Â What I had, was a bunch of fun!
- Sponsor of the Day:Â Tactics Designs
- Heading to see Act of Valor tonight with my wife
- Lots of training opportunities coming up stay tuned here and to the SSA Schedule
The Caracal F
If you haven’t heard about the Caracal F it is time to take a look. Â I have spent a lot of time withÂ striker-firedÂ pistols over the years and at first glance I really didn’t think the Caracal was very different. Â It took me a bit of time to open my eyes and actually pay attention to see what this pistol has to offer.
What is the Caracal?
- Polymer framed
- Striker fired
- 9mm pistol
- F – Full Sized Glock 17ish (18 rounds)
- C – Compact Glock 19ish
- Quick sight
- Built in the United Arab Emerites
- Designed by Bubitz
Why I was Blind to the Caracal F
I first saw the Caracal at Media Day at the rangeÂ precedingÂ SHOT Show 2012 and although I stopped to take a look at the Caracal tent, I pretty quickly moved on. Â Here is my list of excuses.
- Another striker fired pistol?
- The models
- The “Quick Sights”
- The UAE Stamp
Why I Opened My Eyes
- I’m pretty conscious of my bias’
- Others were talking
- Spent some time at the booth
First Impressions of My First Shots
- Biased I don’t shoot 9mm very often
- Recoil was minimal
- Not a fan of the sights
- difficult to change
- not enough light on each side
- how important are the sights?
- Flat shooter
- low recoil of the 9mm
- low felt recoil of the light slide
- low bore axis
- Very fast follow up shots when shooting with a target focus