I just wrapped up the last of my Christmas shopping this morning and I have to tell you I had a great time. Â There is something about the people out shopping on Christmas Eve. Â I don’t know what it was like where you are at, but everyone was patient in the parking lots, driving slower than usual, being more courteous than usual. Â I watched a woman with a large order allow a man with a small order and a limp move to the front of the line. Â Folks were smiling, waving and saying, “Merry Christmas!” to total strangers. Â If you were feeling bah humbug, it would be pretty hard not to catch at least a bit of the spirit. Â It truly is the most wonderful time of the year. Â Yet, crime, violence and the dirt bags that perpetrate the bad stuff are not sleeping. Â They are out there doing what they do best at a time of year that is easier than ever to do it. Â Today we are going to take a look at protecting ourselves when all we want to do is give everybody a big hug.
- Sponsor of the Day: Helix Arms
- Merry Christmas
- Show Schedule
- Welcome Helix Arms
- SHOT Show
As I was sitting writing my outline for today I can smell the cookies in the oven, I have Christmas music playing through Pandora. Â I am in the spirit. Â My kids are playing nicely in the background and everything seems right in the world. Â I feel content.
Content is different that oblivious. Â Crime prevention, avoidance and awareness are excellent tool to help keep us safe through the holidays.
Innocent life is worth protecting no matter what time of the year it is. Â It is no different at Christmas.
- We have a tendency to place a higher value on others this time of year. Â Spirit of giving.
- We must understand that there are evil people thatÂ wishÂ to do evil things.
- The lives of evil people just don’t have the same value to society that the lives of good people have
Criminals and Boundaries
We must remember that criminals are different than you and I. Â We could never dream of causing unjust harm to another especially at Christmas!
This is just another example of aÂ boundaryÂ that we believe exists with crime that criminals ignore and actively exploit.
- Crime happens in good and badÂ neighborhoods
- Crime happens when we are in the spirit and when we aren’t.
- The holidays are easy to exploit for dirt bags
- there are more people around which makes stealing easier
- the people that are around have more loot (Rita)
- more people, more loot, less awareness, more kindness = more targets
- for most people kindness = trust
How We Can Be Safe When We Are in The Spirit
- The Christmas spirit may be about turning the other cheek
- But don’t rule out an eye for an eye
- Understand that “thou shalt not murder” Â is different than “thou shalt not kill”
- Be polite, be professional,Â but have a planÂ to killÂ everyone you meet.