Yesterday we talked about awareness and how difficult it can be to stay out of it when you know (or think you know) what is going on around you. I made it pretty clear that for me, in most situations, I simply stay out of it. Your mileage may vary, based on your duties, your values, and a host of other factors.
But there are some times when I just can’t swallow that advice I gave yesterday.
I would like to think that today’s Friday Film would be one of the times I would choose to get involved. Watch it, and think about how you would hope that you would behave.
We have a few choices when we decide to get involved:
- Indirect involvement: stay out of the situation and help other people stay out of the situation
- Direct involvement: Jump in the mix, straight in. Don’t forget the principles of third party self-defense and if you are going to do it, act INSTANTLY and act DECISIVELY. In other words, DOMINATE.
- The middle ground, remain aware, position yourself strategically, be a good witness and call for help.
A few thoughts about tactics:
- 2 men vs. 1
- 3 one man dropped a bag, the other held on
- If you are a parent, don’t do this to your child.
My new hat.